Cornerstone’s continuum of service helps to create communities where individuals and families are safe and children thrive. We advocate, educate and lead the way to social change.
Cornerstone’s ultimate goal is to reduce the prevalence of interpersonal violence. Healthy futures are possible when we coordinate an effective crisis response, implement trauma-informed support services, mitigate the impact of violence on children and youth, and confront the roots of violence.
We are committed to a society in which violence in families and relationships no longer exists. Domestic violence, sexual violence, dating violence and human trafficking are crimes. They are a violation of human rights. The use of violence is a choice and can be prevented. All community members have a responsibility to confront the roots of violence and eliminate oppression.
Our community consists of Bloomington, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Crystal, Eden Prairie, Edina, Maple Grove, Richfield, Robbinsdale, and St. Louis Park. Within these communities resides a wide range of people; extremely wealthy as well as poor families, cultural diversity, the young and elderly. We will provide safe housing to anyone in imminent danger, regardless of whether or not they live in our community cities.
As persons of Cornerstone, we will:
- Meet those we serve where they are at in terms of their lived experience, relationships with others and self- identity. We recognize and respect these are foundational to the choices they make.
- Build trust and supportive relationships with those we serve by recognizing our obligation to understand and respect our differences, in age, culture, experience, gender identity, abilities, immigration status, race, religion, sexual orientation and socio-economic status.
- Ensure that children and youth are validated, respected and heard.
- Celebrate our accomplishments and support each other as staff.
- Value volunteers as members of our staff.
- Advocate a victim-centered approach in the systems and inst
itutions that affect individuals who are impacted by trauma and violence.
- Engage the community and educate on the issues of violence and oppression.
- Work cooperatively with individuals and organizations that share our philosophy.